Meeting Time and LocationThe Warwick Rotary club meets on Mondays at 6:00 pm in the Virginia Living Museum (VLM). Our meeting space is in the Cafe part of the Museum, and we enter through doors on the south end of the building. You're free to park anywhere in the lot and around the perimeter of the little southern circle near our entrance gate in the fence. Look for a Rotary sign.Click here for map and directions
Brief History of the Warwick Rotary Club
In late 1944, with the encouragement and support of the Newport News Rotary Club, letters were sent to twenty-eight prospective members of a new Rotary Club to be formed in Warwick County. The organizational meeting took place on Monday, January 8, 1945 at 6:30 pm at the Parish House of the Saint Andrews Episcopal Church in Hilton Village and in February of 1945 Rotary International Charter 5902 was issued to the Warwick Rotary Club.
Since 1945, the Warwick Rotary Club has enjoyed over 60 years of distinguished service to the ideals of Rotary. Over the years, the Club has participated in many worthwhile projects that have benefited both our local and international communities. The Club's sponsored its first community project in November, 1945, when it conducted a fund drive to provide uniforms for the Warwick High School Band. Within three weeks, the goal of $3,000 was achieved and a check was presented to the school. Service Above Self has been a motto that truly exemplifies the attitude of the members who have committed both time and finances to make a difference.
The Warwick Rotary Club has achieved success in all four Rotary Avenues of Service: Club Service, Vocational Service, Community Service, and International Service. Annually, the Club enjoys numerous fellowship events, including a fall oyster roast at the Peninsula Fine Arts Center, a Christmas party at the Virginia Living Museum, and in February a gala Charter Night event at the James River Country Club.
The Club has distinguished itself over the years by organizing Red Cross Blood Drives, providing Boy Scout Eagle Kits, tutoring a reading program at Sedgefield Elementary School, participating in Operation Santa Claus for disadvantaged children, hosting Rotary Group Study Exchanges, assembling lunches for Newport News Social Services Department, supporting a medical surgery mission to the Dominican Republic, and supporting Bridges to Prosperity.
Two of the Club's most notable achievements involve a community project and an international project. In 1966, in conjunction with the Junior League, the Club was instrumental in establishing what is now the Virginia Living Museum (VLM). The Club has continued its support of the VLM through various upgrade and construction projects ever since. In 1993, the Warwick Rotary Club established a $25,000 endowment fund to help fund VLM programs and, in 2003, pledged $100,000 to support a new VLM facility. In recognition of the Club's contributions, the VLM awarded the first Golden Paw Award to the Warwick Rotary Club in 1995.
In 1986, Rotary International launched its global campaign to eradicate the dreaded disease - Polio. In response to this call for help, the Warwick Rotary Club pledged $100,000 in support of the Polio Plus effort. Most of the members of the Club made a personal contribution of $1,000 or more. The Club completed its pledge in 1993. By 2009, through its inoculation and education programs, Rotary International has virtually eliminated Polio from every country in the world.